Search This Blog

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Letter: Temper tantrum over Shen Yun spat in Calgary

Re: "Jubilee spat goes public," Herald Online, May 18.

Dear Editor: I am appalled after reading of Culture Minister Heather Klimchuk's handling of the Shen Yun Performing Arts Group. The way she has treated this Chinese troupe is likely to remind them more of their totalitarian native land than our beloved democratic Alberta.

Klimchuk has taken the stance (much like the Chinese Communist Party) that "if you criticize me, I will make you disappear." Isn't her job to cultivate and support culture in this province? How are we supposed to build and improve culture with a minister who is completely unable to take constructive criticism?

The Jubilee Auditorium is a government-owned theatre. I would expect my tax dollars would go toward keeping the venue at the highest standard to ensure we can continue hosting world-class performances.

For Klimchuk to have a tantrum and block a company from returning after they brought legitimate concerns to her is infantile and unprofessional.

I saw Shen Yun in Edmonton this year and the experience blew me away. I was brought to tears many times during the show; it was so moving. One piece in the show told the story of two Chinese people who had the courage to resist persecution and violent suppression in China by the Chinese Communist Party.

I don't think they should tolerate it in Alberta, either.

Justina Wheale, Wetaskiwin

Read more: Calgary Herald

No comments: