1) Forced abortion is traumatic to women. It is a form of torture.
2) In China, sex-selective abortion and infanticide are common. Because of the traditional preference for boys, most of the aborted fetuses and murdered babies are girls. According to a recent study published in the British Medical Journal, the overall sex ratio for China is 120 boys for every 100 girls. Nine provinces had ratios of over 160 boys for every 100 girls, for second children, where the first child is a girl. The article stated, "Sex selective abortion accounts for almost all the excess males." This practice constitutes "gendercide."
3) Because of this gendercide, there are an estimated 37 million more men than women in China today. This gender imbalance is a major force driving sexual trafficking of women and girls in Asia.
4) China has the highest female suicide rate of any country in the world. It is the only nation in which more women than men kill themselves. According to the World Health Organization, approximately 500 women a day end their lives in China. Could this extraordinary suicide rate be related to coercive family planning??
5) Women who have violated the policy are often forcibly sterilized. Forced sterilization is a serious human rights abuse and can lead to life-long health complications.