As we usher in the Year of the Pig on February 18, the Year of the Dog has made 'Human Rights' the king of kings and it's not over yet. But for Westerners the year 2006 has concluded already. Let’s take a look at some of the hot spots during 2006.
- The most shocking news of the year had to be live organ harvesting from Falun Gong practitioners in China. First there was Wang Wenyi who drew international attention to the plight of Falun Gong when she shouted to Hu Jintao from the White House South lawn shortly after Epoch Times broke the news. Her message was loud and clear--Hu Jintao stop killing Falun Gong practitioners and stop organ harvesting.
- Along the same vein, David Kilgour and David Matas wrote a report to expose the genocide of organ harvesting that received a first Congress hearing a few months later. Their extensive travels around the world has helped raise awareness and gain support from parliamentary officials with an end to stop this practice. They have done remarkable work in a short few months.
- Members of the Australian and Asian branches of the Coalition to Investigate the Persecution of Falun Gong (CIPFG) have made a commitment to go to China to investigate further the allegations of organ harvesting but to this date, visas have not been granted by the Chinese Consulates. It is noteworthy Kilgour and Matas have been refused entry to China.
- Meanwhile China felt the squeeze and finally admitted to harvesting organs from executed prisoners and promised to set up new rules to gloss over the whole thing. Of course, the fact that the Falun Gong are murdered for their organs wasn’t mentioned.
- Nevertheless, the international community is getting well versed about the true nature of live organ harvesting targeting Falun Gong through mainstream media reporting on the Kilgour-Matas findings.
- The year 2006 was also a tough year for human rights lawyers in China with the news of Gao Zhisheng being harassed, arrested, released and now basically under house arrest. He had extended an invitation to the Kilgour-Matas investigating team to come to China to probe into abuse of Falun Gong. He still remains a freedom icon to the Christians and Falun Gong who support him.
- On the bright side, over 17 million people have quit the CCP according to an Epoch Times website. This is just a warm-up exercise before millions of people step forward en masse to quit the evil CCP. I strongly believe that the tidal wave is yet to come and that is my prediction and my wish for 2007.
The CCP kept up with its brutal vendetta.
- Some repressive regimes such as Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Russia, Argentina, Vancouver (Hmm), Toronto, San Francisco, New Zealand, Australia, UK, Hong Kong, Korea and Greece, etc. have interfered with Falun Gong activities and freedom of speech. Some of those regimes call themselves democracies!
- As Vancouver practitioners are preparing to see the Mayor in Court to defend our rights to speak out for justice at the Chinese Consulate protest site, a practitioner was physically assaulted by three Chinese men in front of the Consulate during his night shift.
- A few weeks later, hundreds of thousands of anti-Falun Gong newspapers simultaneously hit Vancouver including other major cities in Canada, namely Montreal and Toronto.
- In Hong Kong, Albert Ho Chun-yan was attacked by three men armed with baseball bats after he attended a protest having just joined the Coalition to investigate organ harvesting (CIPFG)
- The International Epoch Times--a paper highly critical of China-- had their office ransacked in Hong Kong and staff was assaulted in the US. Suspicious mail was received in Sydney (AU) and Toronto.
- China jammed Sound of Hope radio shortwaves including Radio Free Asia and Voice of America by constructing the 'Great Firewall of Airwaves'. I encourage you to sign a petition here to stop the blockade.
- NTDTV saw their preparation for their Chinese New Year Spectacular sabotaged in Paris (break and entry/theft) and Seoul where the venue cancelled just days before the show. The same problem is occurring in Korea again as we speak and unfortunately NTDTV had to cancel the event due to pressure from the CCP.
- Just lately we learned that CRTC caved in and approved the 9 communist TV channels to broadcast in Canada in spite of all the evidence submitted showing that they instigate hatred among the community and spew the party line.
- One unforgettable event during 2006 was the San Francisco parade. The phenomenal debacle turned into a war against Falun Gong with Rose Pak and the gang insisting to bar Falun Gong from the Chinese Lunar New Year Parade and succeeding. Hat off to City Hall officials, Chris Daly and Fiona, who struggled every step of the way to protect the rights of Falun Gong.
Some uplifting news:
- Canada had its own Chinese defector, Han Guangsheng, who spoke out about the horrors of the persecution to the media.
- Canadian Falun Gong practitioners won an important court motion in Ontario which cleared the way for judgement on the merits of their historic $20 million civil lawsuit against Jiang Zemin, the former head of China and four other officials for torture.
- China’s State Council Chen Zhili, a strong persecutor of Falun Gong, was served with legal papers in a restaurant in Richmond, BC.
- The Icelandish government compensated Falun Gong and destroyed a blacklist of Falun Gong practitioners who were denied entry into the country in 2002 when Jiang Zemin was visiting the capital. Why it took four years to resolve this issue is beyond comprehension.
Here is something to look forward to for the year of the Pig. The Pig believes in the best qualities of mankind and certainly doesn't consider itself to be superior. Pigs also care a great deal about friends and family and work hard to keep everyone in their life happy. Helping others is a true pleasure for the Pig, who feels best when everyone else is smiling. They are compassionate souls who simply want to keep the peace.
Let the people of China liberate themselves peacefully from the tyranny of the most villainous dictatorship in history.
Happy New Year!